Until further notice there will be no informal office appointments.  If you need an “Informal” discussion it will need to be by phone or letter.  If by letter please include any information such as pictures, comparables, etc. and what you feel is a fair market value for your property if you were to sell it. 

Assessing Office

Town Assessor: Celeste Karakas 


Assessing Clerk: Penelope Ceratt 


Phone: 315-689-9031 Ext. 5  ​​ 

If you are turning 65  years of age, please contact the Assessor's Office prior to March 1st.


New STAR applicants will receive a credit in the form of a check directly from New York State instead of receiving a school property tax exemption.  NEW Basic and Enhanced STAR applicants need to register with the New York State Tax Department to receive a STAR check. Visit or call (518) 457-2036 to register.

The Office still administers UPGRADING EXISTING Basic STAR exemptions TO Enhanced STAR exemption.  After the initial change, the Enhanced STAR exemption will no longer need renewing in our office as New York State will monitor the exemption requirement directly.

The Senior Citizen Low Income Exemption (RP-467) remains the same; our office will send yearly renewals with instructions.



Our office processes various other types of exemptions. For more information and/or an application with instructions, call or stop in to the office.

To name a few of these exemptions they are:

​Agricultural*, Business, Disability/Limited Income*, Sr Citizen Low Income*, Sr STAR Exemption (those still eligible, see STAR Update), Solar, Veterans – Alternative (during time of war) Veterans – Cold War (not during time of war), Veterans Disability*

Note: Sr STAR and Low Sr Citizen exemptions are not the same exemption, they are independent of each other.

* Exemptions that are renewed annually​​


Renewals are mailed out annually in the fall. Those that do not renew by March 1st will lose their exemption for the coming assessment roll year. When you receive your renewal application you may bring in all your information at that time for the following year. If there were extenuating circumstances as to why you did not file on time you will need to write a statement as to the reasoning as well as complete form RP-524 for grievance that needs to be filed with our office the week prior to grievance by May 21, 2020.


Please call our office to schedule an appointment for either Informal or Grievance Hearings.

Any owner contesting their assessment that has recently purchased or is currently listing their property should bring the MLS listing, signed purchase agreement, property appraisal and any additional pertinent information available. For all others, please provide any useful information for the basis of your claim including photographs, street listings, comparisons, or an appraisal that was done within the past three years. All information will become the property of the Town of Elbridge and will be kept confidential.

We ask that any commercial properties supply an income and expense statement or business income tax returns as they will be requested for grievance.

Grievance forms need to be completed and returned prior to grievance day to receive an appointment time.

Walk-ins will still be accepted and scheduled by the grievance board on that day.


The Assessing year is from July 1st to June 30th. Throughout the year property owners can come in and meet personally with the Assessor, by appointment, to discuss their property information. Our Taxable Status Date is March 1st [Exemption Application filing deadline]. From March 1st through to May 1st there are processes that the Assessor goes through in reviewing property assessments. A Tentative Assessment Roll is filed as of May 1st and notices are sent out to those property owners who’s Assessed Values have been changed. At that point and time, you can come in and meet with the Assessor while she is "Sitting with The Assessment Roll", that are on certain days at particular times. After SWR is Grievance Day when you can meet with the Board of Assessment Review (a panel of three to five members) and grieve your assessment to the Board, not the Assessor. The Assessor or the Assessor’s representative will be on hand for the Assessment Board to ask questions of him/her if needed. Once the Assessment Board hears all grievances they go into a closed session and make their determinations. Within a couple of weeks, you will receive a notice from the Board of Assessment Review as to whether they upheld the Assessor's determination of assessment or if they adjusted the assessment. Beyond Grievance is the Small Claims Hearing (see Small Claims on NYST&F website) for residential properties, your last stop. [NOTE: You cannot go to Small Claims if you have not gone through your Town's Grievance process.] You would need to file a Petition at the County Clerk's Office, as well as copies to other offices, see Small Claims instructions.


If you need to change your current mailing address on a parcel you own, please complete the form and mail it to us showing the property(ies) address(es) and parcel ID[s] needing to be changed with your dated signature requesting us to update your mailing address, etc. If this is a Business owned property, please do this on your Company’s letterhead with an authorizing signature. If you have a name change you will need to submit a certified legal document allowing the name change. (Below)


The Office is responsible to maintain, update and record any changes to over 3,000 parcels. Your value or assessment is available online at Onondaga County's website, along with current sales that have occurred in your area. The County's website also offers comparable sales information, grievance forms and information (RP-524) as well as copies of tax maps.To review any questions about your assessment information, appointments are available after January 1st to discuss concerns. Please call Penny Ceratt at 315-689-9031 ext. 5 to schedule appointments.

March 1, 2020

Taxable Status Date / Exemption Filing Deadline 

May 1, 2020

Tentative Assessment Roll Filed May - SWR and Grievance 

July 1, 2020

Final Assessment Roll Filed  

Please call the office to setup an appointment time for SWR or Grievance


2020 Sitting with the Assessment Roll (SWR) 

May 27, 2020

2020 Grievance Day 4:00 - 8:00 PM 

Helpful Links